Design and Technology
At West Earlham Junior School our design and technology curriculum aims to give our students an understanding that objects are designed for a particular purpose and user.
We want our students to learn some making techniques and know a range of materials used for making things and understand how their properties make them useful.
We will do this through;
- Evaluating past and present design and technology
- As part of an inquiry curriculum children will develop and understand the historical and cultural contexts in which the designers worked
- Children will develop the technical and practical skills needed to confidently participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Building and applying knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and construct high quality prototypes for a wide range of users
- Drawing on other subjects such as mathematics, science, computing and art
- Supporting students in being able to critique, evaluate and test their ideas
- Understanding and applying the principles of nutrition and learning how to cook through the progressive and deliberate teaching of skills and techniques
By the end of Key Stage Two our students will be able to;
- Design purposeful, functional and appealing products
- Evaluate a design against design criteria
- Use the practical skills that they have learnt to aid them in their future lives.
- Prepare and cook a variety of healthy and sustainable, mainly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques.
- Know the names and work of a number of significant designers
Back to Curriculum Subjects page or visit another subject page by clicking on the list below: