Design and Technology
At West Earlham Junior School our design and technology curriculum aims to give our students an understanding that objects are designed for a particular purpose and user.
We want our students to learn some making techniques and know a range of materials used for making things and understand how their properties make them useful.
We will do this through;
- Evaluating past and present design and technology
- As part of an inquiry curriculum children will develop and understand the historical and cultural contexts in which the designers worked
- Children will develop the technical and practical skills needed to confidently participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Building and applying knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and construct high quality prototypes for a wide range of users
- Drawing on other subjects such as mathematics, science, computing and art
- Supporting students in being able to critique, evaluate and test their ideas
- Understanding and applying the principles of nutrition and learning how to cook through the progressive and deliberate teaching of skills and techniques
By the end of Key Stage Two our students will be able to;
- Design purposeful, functional and appealing products
- Evaluate a design against design criteria
- Use the practical skills that they have learnt to aid them in their future lives.
- Prepare and cook a variety of healthy and sustainable, mainly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques.
- Know the names and work of a number of significant designers
Cooking and Nutrition
At West Earlham Junior School we recognise that teaching our children and families about the principles of good nutrition and how to eat a healthy and varied diet is an important part of our role. We know that by teaching our children how to cook nutritious and cost effective meals they will have the knowledge and skills to keep themselves healthy in the future. We place great emphasis on the development of cooking skills, and understanding the principles of a healthy and varied diet within the design and technology curriculum.
Understanding seasonality and how ingredients and grown, reared or processed is an integral part of our cooking and nutrition curriculum and has strong links with the geography curriculum that the children study. We think it is really important that children understand where their food comes from and the costs involved.
Back to Curriculum Subjects page or visit another subject page by clicking on the list below: